December 3, 2009

Friends that are family!

In my 28 years away from the Summit City of Fort Wayne, IN, Cindy and I have met some wonderful people. There are people who have been so meaningful in our lives that they are really, truly, and absolutely family (even more family than some blood people are). Let me tell you about some of them (I will only use initials, so that I don't disrespect anyone's right of privacy in cyberspace:

1. I K L - This person is the absolute picture of grace, yet they are SO CERTIFIABLE that it's humorous to watch them walk around every day. This individual is full of knowledge (they've also met almost everyone in the world - When Ted Kennedy died, we heard that this person had met him). Both Cindy and I treasure the friendship and I regard them as much as a part of our family as one of our daughters, even though they are older than I am.

2. M A B - This person is one of the "coolest cats" that I've ever met. I've watched them go through a building and give everyone grief every chance that they've gotten, yet take it with an unflappability that is second to none. In fact, the first person mentioned above and this one and I have formed our own little family that is really neat to see. If and when either one (or both) of them leave, there will be a hole in my life (don't tell them that, though. You would need a giant pincushion to deflate their heads if they found out). In fact, whenever I hear the word "CAAAAAAAKKKKKE", I will always picture that person's face. They've already been told that they will remember that story wrong, but that's ok. That's what families are all about and, yes, this person is also very much family.

3. A G S - The Minich family has been attached to this person for the better part of fourteen years and we haven't had a moment of regret in that time. In fact, it was a Tony story when we met this person. They had a pro-evolution with pictures of an amoeba (on the left), a monkey (in the middle) and a man (on the right). Being a total stranger to this person, I turned to this person and said, "My wife wants to know if that's a self-portrait in the middle". I got an elbow in the ribs from Cindy and a fast retort from, as they are now, my friend and Christian family member. The neat part is that this person is so much family now that I can depend on them for straight talk and accountability (something that a lot of Christians don't generally share).

4. J H - This person has been an integral part of my Pennsylvania existence since July 2001. As a member of the clergy at one of the local churches, I have been able to turn to this individual for laughs, tears, film opinions, down to earth talk, and good Christian fellowship. Whenever I feel like a stranger in a strange land, I turn to this person. After my Christian recommitment last month, I came to this person and we had an entirely new discussion, held in an entirely new light. I am proud to say that this person and the Minich family have been well taken care of over the years by this individual.

Whenever I get to feeling down, which I often do, I look to these four people for a lot of laughs. Best part of all, though, is even though we get the laughs going, there have also been some very serious and very deep discussions. As a retired U.S. Navy sailor, let me put it this way: I would trust any of these four people with my life and I have no illusions that they wouldn't do the same.

To the three of you when you read this (as you will know who you are): Thank you for the positive affect that you've had in my life. The Living God put you in my life for a reason and I'm extremely grateful that he did.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AHHHHH! Yes, we are a family warts, good, bad and ugly,can warts be good? You buoy us up when we're down and on a good day, after much comic relief, we, are just like helium filled ballons floating with the clouds! Float on!