November 25, 2004

Thanksgiving Day

I am thankful that we are able to share the love that we have with people who love us.

In 2002, we shared Thanksgiving with Cindy's sister Julie and my cousin Bob Shutt and his family. It was a very fun loving time that we had that year. Bob and his family came over from Fort Wayne IN and Julie came from Norwich CT. We borrowed a neighbor's picnic table (our dining table was too small) and had an absolutely wonderful time. I could almost say that it was like Norman Rockwell-like, even though we added our own touches to it.

I remember the Thanksgiving dinners I had the honor of going to when I was MUCH younger. The crush of people, the way that it would rotate between houses (I am sure my parents hosted one once, but I am not entirely sure)., and seeing my cousins (most of whom I have lost contact with, unfortunately). Just like on TV and the movies, I remember all the men gathered around the TV watching some football game (I still don't understand that one. But I have no interest in televised sports).

In almost 19 years of marriage, we have only had three or four times where we spent any holiday with family, on any side. At times, I would say that it is sad. I love my family (both my biological family and my in-laws). But we have drifted apart in many ways. I am now re-learning my father, who I have always loved with all my being, regardless of anything that has happened. I have maintained contact with my mother, but am still trying to get to know her even though we have maintained contact. The rest of the family I love dearly, but have come to realize that I don't really know. That is what time does, makes the mind grow absent. At other times, I know that I have done the best for our children. We have given them good memories of their own and that is the best thing that we could do. I am PROUD that they have had the holidays that they have had.

I say it again. I am very thankful for the loving family that I have lived with and shared 18 years with (even though Cindy would be quick to point out that it has been OVER, yes she would emphasize that, bless her heart, OVER 18 years). Not many people have been so blessed. We have had a heckuva ride on the roller coaster called life, but it has been worth it.

We were invited over for dinner to Pam & Ken Wohltmann's house for dinner. Cindy met them at First Baptist Church, Lansdale. Very nice couple. He slept a lot and she is just silly. But it was a good time. Cindy and Natalie and the Wohltmann's played Pig (not to be confused with the basketball game of the same name). Meredith and I watched several episodes of Everybody Loves Raymond. Our family enjoys that show because it reminds of my family (my father is Peter Boyle, only with a LOT more love and compassion).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We go through life with two families-the one we are born with and the one we build. The one we build is ofter founded on our local church and people who share similiar interests/viewpoints. The presence of the family we build can be very encouraging and comforting as we are bound together by more than a common aunt or uncle. My family has drifted apart and we have spent many recent years celebrating Christmas with the family we built, not the one we were born with. As it it said in the classic movie "It's A Wonderful Life"- no man is poor who has friends. The family we build is a rich blessing.

Tony Minich said...

Anonymous, I like your thinking. As many times as I have seen that movie, I have forgotten that line. There has been many times when I have felt like George Bailey. (if there were guardian angels, I suspect that mine would also be Clarence). But then I realize that I have good friends, from around the world. I would like to think that I have positively affected people's lives.

Thank you for phrasing that in such a way that it all comes together, at least in my mind.

Tony Minich said...

One other note: I have come to realize that the family that Cindy and I have built is a VERY RICH blessing. I firmly believe that we have a diamond in our midst, even with the fires that we have been through. So you are also right there.