February 3, 2006

Bigot

Before I go into today's discourse, let's look up the definition of a word. The word is "bigot". As defined by Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary, it is defined as:
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French: hypocrite, bigot
; a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own prejudices or opinions.
If I were to use the word bigot, what comes to mind? Cross-burnings? KKK? Racial incidents? Bigotry goes much deeper and appears in many more topics than that. Let me give you an example.

I was "blessed" to have heard the opinion today that all women in prison are there because of men or something that men told them to do. When challenged, this person took the natural position of a bigot and told me that I felt threatened (Blatent stupidity overtly astounds me and causes me to feel pity for the person. The only way that I might feel threatened is that there is a possibility that there might be more uneducated people like this one. No, actually that scares me, not threatens).

Now for the facts on why this was a bigoted statement.
  1. This line of thinking gives men a power over the female race that we have never had. No one ever told me that, as a male, I am able to control the destiny of a woman. I have never met a man that is THAT good. A lot of men I have met and share my gender with aren't that good. Now I find out that there is someone who believes that men have a power we have never been vested with.
  2. This line of thinking degrades women also. This individual would have us believe that women are so stupid that they can be controlled by a male. I don't know about anyone
    else, but I have always marvelled at the intricacies and complexities of the female gender. After almost twenty years of marriage, I have yet to find a way to outsmart my beloved bride. She is usually one step ahead of me. On top of that, American women have spent MANY MANY years fighting for rights that belonged to them from birth, but were stolen by men. This person would have us believe that the fight has been for naught because women can be controlled by men. Scary concept, eh?
  3. There was NO statistics or numbers offered to prove this opinion. But bigoted statements never have proof. Just reaches and grabs to attempt to make an
    inherently ignorant statement seem believable.
  4. Last, but never least, this person was unwilling to defend their "opinion" in a rational manner. All they could do was walk off sputtering their bile with a lame and weak "It's a fact and you're threatened". Again, the true sign of a bigot.
The form of bigotry this person was using is known as misandry. Wikipedia has this blurb on misandry:

There are different forms of misandry. In its most overt expression, a misandrist will openly hate all men simply because they are men. Other forms of misandry may be more subtle. Some misandrists may hold all men under suspicion or may hate men or who do not fall into one or more acceptable categories. Entire cultures can be said to be misandrist if they treat men in ways that can be said to be hurtful.
Also, let's make one thing perfectly clear: do not think that I am saying that a misandrist is a homosexual. Neither homosexuality or misandry/misogyny (a person who hates or distrusts women) have anything to do with the other. In fact, I know male misandrists and female misogynists.

Let's hope that everyone can work together to eliminate all forms of bigotry (including misogyny and misandry). The injustices done by both genders to the opposite one can never be corrected without it.

No comments: