February 6, 2005

Super Bowl XXXIX

I have never been into watching sports on television. The last time I took any kind of interest was when Ara Parseghian was coach at Notre Dame (I believe that was the mid '70's, or somewhere in that region).

I know that most Americans have a certain team that they root for. I have been in/near Chicago, San Diego, Seattle and Philadelphia and haven't been to a professional sports game since the late '80's (when I went to a Fort Wayne Komets game with my family. My oldest daughter, who was a babe in arms at the time, fell asleep. She was also starting a non interest early).

The fervor in Philadelphia over the Eagles going to the SuperBowl baffled me. I watched intelligent people making complete fools of themselves. There was even a rivalry at work as our boss is from Long Island, which almost makes him a Patriot fan by default (I guess).

I am looking forward to Tuesday morning, since the fervor will be over (one way or the other). But it has definitely been interesting to watch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Football-I think the fans you see on television, with their faces painted green, jumping and screaming, are acting like morons who have nothing in their own life to attach value/meaning to. The "need to belong" drives some of these people over the edge!
Football, like other professional sports, is a powerful "media machine", therefore being a loyal Republican, I only cheer for teams that come from cities with Republican mayors. That way, if the team from that city wins a Superbowl or World Series, it creates a very positive "photo opportunity" for the Republican mayor and that is OK with me!

Regarding the Eagles, I did not appreciate T. Owens commercial with the naked woman in the locker room and I was glad to see them lose. If anyone has visited the Eagles web site on a regular basis, you will notice that the "Cheerleader's Lingerie Calendar" is no longer promoted on the home page and the link to order has a warning about adult material. I suppose a few parents complained about the previous format, I was there when my child stumbled upon it.

Overall, the Eagles could be better role models.