January 22, 2005

Snow, Finally!!!

We have been staying in all day due to the snowstorm that struck here the Northeast this morning. We are supposed to have between 12 and 18 inches before it is over. I have been going out and keeping the sidewalk around the house cleared. Since I enjoy shovelling snow so much (and I really do! For real!), I have been having a ball.

In fact, I had a chance to meet the gentleman who bought the house across Ridge Street. Real nice guy. Turns out that he is the Borough Manager for Hatfield PA. I got to talking with him today as we shovelled our prospective sides of the street. Then I went over and helped him shovel his side. After that, both of us came over and did the Minich's side of Ridge. We found out that we got more done quicker than if we had worked alone. I was told later that this was due to synergy, that two together can do more work than two separate. The gentleman who told me this was a wise old prospector type, kind of like Walter Huston in The Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

Being a Systems Administrator (and a computer weenie, in general), it has amazed me how computers have become a very integral part of my life. Not just in work. Or play. I have reestablished many relationships through the Information Highway. Keep up on news. Many other things. I guess I am just a middle-aged computer geek. PROUD OF IT, TOO!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, the information highway! As the blonde woman with the imported shawl, leaned back in her chair at the cafe, she commented that the information highway was a great communication tool but should not be a substitute for other means of communication. With a slightly humorous smile, she told the Commander that she still enjoyed receiving physical cards in the mail and the spontaneous live phone call where tone of voice and shared laughter provided inspiration. All communication tools have their proper place in time. It was in this time, in this spiritual season of her life, that she needed communication with others who struggle for meaning and purpose. The Commander understood and reached out to hold her hand. She went on to explain that growing up there were many lies that went unchallenged and later developed into personal earthquakes. But she did find hope in tragedy and direction in healing. She now needed to be where the light shines through. The Commander then proposed that they order their second cup of coffee to go and the journey continued. After securing her shawl, she chuckled and quoted Louis Hardin- "today is yesterday's tomorrow, which is now". The Commander hugged her and replied "And now I am with you".